Glen Head, NY
The Standby Program is a leading organization in the field of moving image and audio preservation. Work preserved through Standby comes from some of the country’s most prominent media artists and cultural institutions. We are seeking a technically oriented individual to work full-time under the supervision of our Senior Preservationist. Knowledge of moving image and audio preservation is important. This one-year fellowship is designed as an apprentice position where the candidate will have the opportunity to learn best practices, and develop conservation skills on the job at our preservation facility in Glen Head, NY. The expectation is that the candidate will gain sufficient experience following the fellowship to continue assisting our organization in the conservation of time-based media.
• Work directly with artists to evaluate collections and advise on a plan of action.
• Understand standards and practices of analog & digital preservation
• Use of a time base corrector, waveform monitor, vectorscope, and audio meters to ensure accurate digitization of materials
• Perform supervised transfers.
• Collect and organize metadata.
• Manage and track preservation projects in order to meet client deadlines and manage internal resources.
• Production of derivative elements such as DVDs and access files
• Quality control of all elements
• Maintenance of audio, video and computer hardware
QUALIFICATIONS – Candidate should possess some or all of the following skills
• Graduation from a four-year college or university
• Some prior experience with video and/or audio post-production
• A knowledge of art history & contemporary practices utilizing time based techniques
• Demonstrable familiarity with the media preservation field
• Experience producing/managing technical metadata
• Ability to prepare and understand technical documentation
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently
• Strong attention to detail
The Standby Program is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Email a cover letter and resume describing your relevant experience to:
Maria Venuto, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org.